The fundamental benefit of fibreglass-reinforced composites is their extreme flexibility in terms of shape and strength. So the range of available uses is vast, and materials such as aluminium, stainless steel, iron or wood can often be replaced with fibreglass.
General material benefits of fibreglass composites
- Low weight, high strength (especially in sandwich constructions)
- Extremely solid (especially in sandwich constructions)
- Excellent corrosion resistance
- Undreamt-of design possibilities
- Resistant to a multitude of chemicals
- Tolerance stable
- Excellent thermal and sound-proofing properties
- Recyclable (can be crushed and used as filler)
- Competitive cost
In terms of quality, the precise properties and functions of any individual composite product are determined by the composition of the material and the manufacturing process, which are used in the particular situation. The possibilities are infinite. The introduction of additives creates fire-resistant properties.